On Jan. 28, 1986, the space shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds into her flight. All seven on board perished. On this flight was Christa MacAuliff, who was representing the Teacher in Space project. Other crew members included Michael J. Smith, Dick Scobee, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka,…
As quoted in a recent column, Philippians 4:8 reminds us, “Whatsoever things are true ... honest ... just ... pure ... lovely ... of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” Now that is worth repeating and remembering daily – Amen?
Les Brown Jr. may well have been the nicest, most unassuming “star” I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. Mr. Brown died of cancer Jan. 9 at his home in Branson, Mo., at the age of 82.
Rich in heritage, Land Rover has debuted its latest, and longest sport utility vehicle with lots of fanfare to entice buyers looking for off-road chops combined with luxurious features. The new Defender 130 is a takeoff from the 110 model, adding 13 inches in length, accommodating third-row …
Detective Josh Biviano (left) with the White County Sheriff’s Office’s Criminal Investigation Division recently spoke to the Searcy Optimist Club about financial fraud and identity theft. “It is easy to fall victim to the many scams out there,” he said. “The elderly are more susceptible alth…
The University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture has released the 2023 edition of three publications containing updated research-based recommendations for managing pests, weeds and diseases in row-crop agriculture as well as fruit, vegetable and garden production.
It is said that if you don’t like the weather in Arkansas, wait five minutes and it will change. As I type this, the weather is 50 degrees, which for some people from New Orleans means soup weather. I don’t care what the weather is outside, I’m always ready for a good cup or bowl of soup.
‘Missing” is a screenlife mystery-thriller that’s a spiritual sequel to 2018’s “Searching” written and directed by Nicholas D. Johnson and Will Merrick (who both previously served as editors for the first film) and co-written by Aneesh Chaganty and Sev Ohanian (the director and writer of the…
A fellow psychologist says I paint with too broad a brush concerning the devastating effect mental health professional advice has had on children. He claims that some of the changes in parenting practice since the 1960s have been beneficial and gives more involved fathers as an example. Hold…
When the weather dips into cold and freezing temperatures, especially at night, humans stay cozy by turning on heaters and pulling out extra blankets. Food animals, on the other hand, require special preparation to stay warm and survive cold weather conditions.
Drought conditions in 2022 had an extraordinary impact on the cattle industry in Arkansas as well as much of the country, according to officials.
Commissioners with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission recently authorized Director Austin Booth to amend a long-term lease agreement with Central Arkansas Water to expand Maumelle River Wildlife Management Area in Pulaski County by 2,395 acres.
One day, I’m going to get the nerve to make my own sausage. If I do, I know that I will make some andouille. As you may know, it is the sausage of my choice. It’s so easy to just pick some up at the store instead of spending hours with the grinding and smoking process. I know that I always p…
- On track at Harding
- Arkansas Senate classifies drag performances as 'adult-oriented' this week
- Afghan soldier seeking US asylum hopes for 'American dream'
- How to fix a howitzer: US offers help line to Ukraine troops
- Brutal beating by police in Memphis shown on video
- Auschwitz anniversary marked as peace again shattered by war
- Pandemic, culture wars revive 'school choice' policy push
- US inflation and consumer spending cooled in December
- Searcy's first female barber saying bye Friday after almost 50 years
- Three from Searcy officially charged with robbery at gunpoint
- Beebe police chief due in court Feb. 9 on citation for passing stopped school bus
- Riverview hires junior high assistant principal to lead Judsonia Elementary as principal
- New White County Office of Emergency Management director started working for county at 16
- Four school districts in county show increased enrollment; other four's numbers down
- State legislators from White County say zero income tax 'just not possible' right now
- Searcy police chief asks to add one officer per shift, extra detective due to uptick in shootings
- Beebe officials discuss possible land purchases, set auction for selling BIDC property
- Searcy Personnel Committee wants fire department to use special truck to respond to medical calls to lower number of firefighters involved